Knowing what the best image dimensions are for your social media posts can mean the difference between an effective image and getting your logo cut off in your brand new ad. We know it can be hard to keep track of all the different platform’s updates, so we’ve gathered together the most recent information on social media image sizes.
Social Media Image Sizes By Platform
- Cover Photo for Business Page: The recommended image dimensions are 820 x 312 pixels on computers. The width will be 640 pixels on a smartphone, so put the most important imagery towards the center.
- Profile Photo: 170×170 pixels on computers, 128 x 128 pixels on smartphones, and 36 x 36 on feature phones. (Must be uploaded at at least 180 x 180 pixels.)
- Link Image Photo: Use an image that’s at least 1200 x 630 pixels for display on high-res devices. At the minimum, Facebook’s recommended dimensions for linked images are 600 x 315 pixels to display as a large image. If your photo is smaller than that, it will appear as a smaller photo next to your link.
- Photos in a Status Update: For best quality, use photos that are 720 pixels, 960 pixels, or 2048 pixels wide.
For inspiration, check out REI’s Facebook page. This profile is a great example of why it’s so important to understand social media image sizes- the dimensions fit Facebook’s layout well, so their photos all appear attention-grabbing and beautiful. Plus, we love that they’re using their cover photo to promote their current hashtag campaign!
- Profile Photo: Your profile photo will be cropped into a circle and display as 150 x 150 pixels.
- Post Photo: According to Instagram, it supports photos with widths between 320 and 1080 pixels. The height should be between 566 and 1350 pixels. If the aspect ratio of your photo isn’t supported, it will be cropped.
Go Pro is a visual company, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that their Instagram account is stunning. Their simple logo shows up nicely on a smaller phone screen, and their high-quality photos of subjects like babies and skydivers emphasize their adventurous, family-friendly branding.
- Header Image: Twitter recommends header images be 1500 x 500 pixels. On mobile, your header will be cropped to a 2:1 aspect ratio.
- Profile Photo: 400 x 400 pixels.
- Tweet Photo: You can attach up to four photos in a tweet, and can even tweet GIFs. The minimum image size is 600 x 335 pixels, but larger photos (such as 1200 x 675) work better when users click to expand the image. The aspect ratio should be 16:9.
Check out Innocent Drink’s twitter profile for inspiration. The juice company uses the photos they share to show off their brand’s sense of humor and unique voice.
- Profile Photo (personal page): The ideal size is 400 x 400 pixels.
- Background Photo (personal page): Should be 1536 x 768 pixels. The minimum file size is 1000 x 425 pixels.
- Logo Image (company page): LinkedIn’s recommended image size is 300 x 300 pixels.
- Overview Tab Image (company page): 480 x 240 pixels.
- Cover Photo (company page): 1536 x 768 pixels.
- Life Tab Hero Image (company page): 1128 x 376 pixels.
- Sharing a Link: Your link will be accompanied by an image of about 520×270 pixels.
To get inspired, take a look at Starbucks’ LinkedIn account. They’re using LinkedIn’s new, larger cover photo to grab the attention of their target audience for LinkedIn: job seekers. The photos they’re using for the covers of their Overview Tab and Life Tab are beautiful and high quality. Plus, the photos they use for their status updates are bright and eye-catching.
- Channel Art: For best results, Youtube suggests using a 2560 x 1440 pixel image.
- Channel Icon: Should be 800 x 800 pixels.
- Custom Thumbnail Image for Videos:1280 x 720 pixels, with a minimum width of 640 pixels.
For an example of a great Youtube account, go watch a few Old Spice videos! Their logo is well-sized for their channel icon, and their custom thumbnails are attention-grabbing and hilarious.
- Profile Picture: Your profile picture will appear as a 165 x 165 pixel circle.
- Board Cover Photo: 200 x 200 pixels.
- Pins: According to Pinterest, the ideal aspect ratio for a pin is 2:3, for example 600 x 900 or 735 x 1102 pixels. Pins are organized into columns, so vertical pins like this take up more room and are more likely to get noticed. Pins will be 238 pixels wide in the Pinterest home screen. When viewers click to expand them they appear up to 735 pixels wide.
Check out Ben & Jerry’s Pinterest profile. Their boards and pins do more than just share tasty ice cream pics- they use the images they pin to share their company culture with customers.
- Cover Photo: 1080 x 608 pixels is the recommended image size. However, cover photos on Google+ can be up to 2120 x 1192 pixels. Minimum size is 480 x 270 pixels.
- Profile Photo: Recommended size for best quality is 250 x 250 pixels. Your picture will appear as a circle and will display as small as 60 x 60 pixels, so stick with a simple image that will shrink easily.
- Shared Image: Google+ images will display around 497 x 373 pixels. 497 pixels is the minimum width. The maximum size is 2048 x 2048 pixels.
For a great example of a corporate Google+ account, take a look at Hubspot’s profile. Their cover photo is high-quality, and the text is centered well so it follows you down the page as you scroll.
Looking for great stock photos to help you get started on your new social media accounts? We love Pexels!
Before you go: bookmark this page. We’ll be updating this post with new information on social media image sizes as platforms make changes to their requirements, so check back often.