Knowing what the best image dimensions are for your social media posts can mean the difference between an effective image and getting your logo cut off in your brand new ad. We know it can be hard to keep track of all the different platform’s updates, so we’ve gathered together the most recent information on social media image sizes.
Social Media Image Sizes By Platform
- Cover Photo for Business Pages: The recommended image dimensions are 820 x 312 pixels on computers. The width will be 640 pixels on a smartphone, so put the most important imagery towards the center.
- Cover Video for Business Pages: You can post a video in lieu of a cover photo on Facebook! This is a great way to engage viewers from the first moment they find your page. Your video will display at 820 x 312, but Facebook recommends choosing a video that’s 820 pixels by 462 pixels. Keep it between 20 and 90 seconds.
- Profile Photo: Must be uploaded at at least 180 x 180 pixels. Will display as 170×170 pixels on computers, 128 x 128 pixels on smartphones, and 36 x 36 on feature phones. Keep in mind that it will be cropped to fit a circle in people’s feeds.
- Link Image Photo: These days, Facebook doesn’t allow brands to change a link image, so make sure you’re using og image tags properly on your site! Use an image that’s 1200×630 pixels for the best results on high res devices.
For inspiration, check out REI’s Facebook page. This profile is a great example of why it’s so important to understand social media image sizes- the dimensions fit Facebook’s layout well, so their photos all appear attention-grabbing and beautiful. Plus, we love their beautiful, engaging cover video!
- Profile Photo: Your profile photo will be cropped into a circle and display as 110 x 110 pixels.
- Post Photo: Instagram suggests using photos that are 1080 x 1080 pixels for the best results!
- Stories: For best results, the photos you use for your Instagram Stories should be 1080 x 1920 pixels.
Go Pro is a visual company, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that their Instagram account is stunning. Their simple logo shows up nicely on a smaller phone screen, and their high-quality photos emphasize their adventurous, family-friendly branding. They’re doing a great job taking advantage of the Stories feature by promoting different products and hashtag campaigns on their profile!
- Header Photo: Twitter recommends header images be 1500 x 500 pixels. On mobile, your header will be cropped to a 2:1 aspect ratio.
- Profile Photo: We suggest 400 x 400 pixels. It will display at 200 x 200.
- Share Image: You can attach up to four photos in a tweet, and can even tweet GIFs. The ratio is 2:1, and the minimum size is 440 x 220 pixels.
Check out Innocent Drink’s twitter profile for inspiration. The juice company uses the photos they share to show off their brand’s sense of humor and unique voice.
- Profile Photo (personal page): The ideal size is 400 x 400 pixels.
- Background Photo (personal page): Should be 1584 x 396 pixels.
- Logo Image (company page): LinkedIn’s recommended image size is 300 x 300 pixels.
- Cover Photo (company page): 1536 x 768 pixels.
- Posts: When sharing an image or link, use a photo that’s 1200 x 628 pixels for the best results.
To get inspired, take a look at Starbucks’ LinkedIn account. They’re using LinkedIn’s narrow cover photo to grab attention in a way that’s on-brand but not too busy. The photos they use in their posts are bright and eye-catching.
- Channel Art: For best results, Youtube suggests using a 2560 x 1440 pixel image.
- Channel Icon: Should be 800 x 800 pixels.
- Custom Thumbnail Image for Videos:1280 x 720 pixels, with a minimum width of 640 pixels.
For an example of a great corporate Youtube account, check out Old Spice! Their logo is well-sized for their channel icon, and their custom thumbnails are attention-grabbing and hilarious.
- Profile Picture: Your profile picture will appear as a 165 x 165 pixel circle.
- Board Display: Will be a large thumbnail of 200 x 150 pixels.
- Pins: According to Pinterest, the ideal aspect ratio for a pin is 2:3, for example, 600 x 900 or 735 x 1102 pixels. Pins are organized into columns, so vertical pins like this take up more room and are more likely to get noticed. Pins will be 236 pixels wide in the Pinterest home screen. When viewers click to expand them they will be a minimum of 600 pixels wide.
Check out Ben & Jerry’s Pinterest profile. Their boards and pins do more than just share tasty ice cream pics- they use the images they pin to share their company culture with customers.
Before you go: bookmark this page. We’ll be updating this post with new information on social media image sizes as platforms make changes to their requirements, so check back often.